Even the most careful and health-conscious of us are guilty of putting unhealthy items in our bodies in our daily lives. A cleansing of the body or as it is called, detoxification, helps us combat the problem by getting rid of all the toxins we subject our bodies to.
Detox refers to cleansing the body with organic, whole and fresh foods by abstaining from toxic or unhealthy substances. While it may not be possible to practice abstinence in our daily lives, some simple steps can be effective to the end. So instead of taking to occasional, short-lived measures, adopt these small changes in your daily life:
1. Increase fiber intake – The kidney and liver are crucial for the filtration of the toxins in the body and thus promote overall cleansing. Include plenty of fiber in your daily diet such as organically produced fresh vegetables and fruits to aid them in their function. Radishes, artichokes, broccoli, cabbage, parsley, grapefruit, beets etc. are all high on fiber and make for excellent detox foods. Avoid unhealthy items such as processed foods, caffeine, alcohol and refined sugars.
2. Increase Vitamin C intake: Vitamin C is especially helpful for detox since it induces the production of glutathione, which is a compound that flushes toxins out. Include fruits and vegetables high on Vitamin C such as bell-pepper, lemon, orange, grapefruit, pineapple, papaya etc. in your daily diet.
3. Drink herbal tea blends – Herbal infusions are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that are high on health benefits. They offer an excellent alternative to black and green tea, not just in terms of flavor but also owing to their natural detoxifying and energy boosting properties. A tea detox consists of two parts: one being the morning ritual where you take teas to refresh and the second being the evening where you take tea to cleanse the colon. Look for ingredients such as ginseng, gotu kola, ginger, peppermint, licorice, spearmint, lemongrass and cinnamon in your tea.
4. Do yoga – Yoga is one of the best detox techniques as it cleanses your body, mind and spirit when practiced daily. Choose from the hundreds of yoga asanas to strengthen and detox your body.
5. Hydrotherapy – Hydrotherapy consists of a wide range of methods. One simple yet effective way to do it daily is to alternate between hot and cold water during a shower. Exercise hydrotherapy by taking a hot shower for five minutes daily, allowing the water to run on your skin. Follow the same with cold water for about 3 seconds. Repeat this thrice and hit the bed for the next 30 minutes. While hot water relaxes blood vessels and dilates them, cold water stimulates them. This alternating between the two is useful in decreasing inflammation, removing toxins from tissues and naturally, stimulating blood circulation.
6. Exfoliate – Remove toxins present in your skin and induce greater circulation through daily oil massages and skin brushing. You can also dry-brush your skin or go for foot scrubs and baths to remove toxins from the pores. Before taking a shower, dry brush your full body. This will stimulate greater blood circulation and will augment the process of toxin elimination through the skin.
7. Sweat it out – Hit the local gym or sweat it out in the sauna to help your body eliminate waste through increased body temperature and perspiration. Sweating rids your body of a lot of toxins and is a great daily detox tool.
8. Drink lots of water –Water is a catalyst to all the above mentioned detox techniques. So stay hydrated all day and have adequate amounts of water to flush toxins out of your body.